Knowledge Base / FAQ's
How do I apply log home chinking and caulking?
The following general steps should always be followed when applying chinking or caulking:
- Make sure the moisture content of the logs is appropriate for the product that you are about to apply to the logs – and verify this with a moisture meter.
- Make sure the log surfaces are really clean and composed of sound wood.
- Always apply the products to be used in the proper weather, with the surface temperature of the logs appropriate for those products.
- Apply wood preservatives (such as Sashco’s PeneTreat).
- Apply the stain (such as Sashco’s Capture / Cascade or High Sierra).
- Apply the backer rod and caulking or chinking (such as Sashco’s Log Builder or Log Jam).