Protecting Your Log Home Investment
Follow these simple guidelines to maintain the beauty of your log home year after year. When YOUR log home dream becomes reality, it is important for you, the homeowner, to begin an easy on-site care and maintenance program. Optimal maintenance treatments should give your home protection from moisture, ultraviolet radiation (sunlight) and water intrusion.
Here's why... Unfinished wood in conventional frame houses and wood exposed to weather conditions is subject to rapid deterioration. Pre-weathering for as little as two weeks has been shown to damage the structural strength of the wood and adhesion performance of wood protecting finishes! DON'T PROCRASTINATE. Start a maintenance program for your log home today!
Periodic Inspections Are Important
The homeowner can do much in wood care and maintenance, particularly in sustaining proper water drainage and treating wood regularly. The following are some inspection items to consider during construction and after your home has been completed.
- Grading Proper grading should be done during construction to avoid expense later. Finish grade should never come in contact with wood.
- Termites Soil treatment, if required in your location, should be performed by a certified applicator. For wood, use a treatment that contains an insecticide.
- Roof Overhangs Protect log walls from excessive water and sun exposure by diverting rain water with roof overhangs of at least 18" to 24" and projected side eaves. Use Organiclear TM5-FT or WR-5 Protective Wood Coatings.
- Gutters And Downspouts Inspect and clean gutters and downspouts regularly to avoid water back-up.
- Caulking Inspect caulking around windows, doors, etc. Repair or replace as required.
- Chimneys Thorough chimney inspections and cleaning should be made prior to the start of each heating season.
- Humidity Heating systems can draw great amounts of moisture out of logs. A humidifier will keep moisture at comfortable levels and help reduce log checking.
- Porches And Decks They should be designed to shed excess water. Slope decks away from foundation to discard water. WR-5 should be applied to all porch materials.
- Checking And Splitting Soak all exterior checks with a penetrating water repellent wood coating system such as WR-5 to protect against water damage. Exterior checks facing upward should be filled with an Organiclear IWF to minimize checking, splitting and splintering.
- Log Home Finishes and Coatings The best protection against wood rot and decay for ALL LOG HOMES is to keep the log walls dry. Apply a premium quality water-repellent wood coating that "breathes." (Don't use a film-building finish such as latex paint which can crack and peel in a few years and won't allow wood to breathe). The best way to protect and maintain your log home for years of enjoyment is with the Organiclear™ family of premium wood coatings and finishes.
Scheduled Maintenance Program
Upon Delivery To One Month After Construction
We recommend treating all wood surfaces; top and bottom, sides and log ends. Interiors Apply oil-based Organiclear IWF interior treatment is not recommended for wood floors.
Apply oil-based Organiclear IWF interior treatment is not recommended for wood floors.
Use WR-5 exterior water-repellent wood finish which has the ability to reduce splitting and warping. Organiclear WR-5 is also recommended for dimensional stability of pressure-treated lumber, cedar and redwood. Apply when wood is thoroughly dry and follow label directions carefully.
One Year Later
Inspect the home for changes due to the natural settling and seasoning processes. Apply a clear penetrating wood finish or stain with water repellency protections. We recommend Organiclear WR-5.
Every Three To Five Years
Many factors can influence the life expectancy of a wood treatment system. Based on regular inspection, repeat maintenance is usually on a 3-5 year cycle (or as needed) for the exterior and interior log walls and wood decks.
The best way to protect and maintain your log home is with WR-5 Premium Wood Coating and Finishes from Western Log Home Supply.